The Honors Option

The Honors Option is one way in which any MSU undergraduate student who is enrolled in non-Honors course can earn an Honors experience.

An Honors Option is more extensive or more advanced work than is required of all students in a regular course. University policy is that Honors Options must be supervised by a member of the MSU faculty. The Honors College defers to department chairs regarding procedures for faculty supervision of Honors Options in circumstances where the course is taught by someone other than a faculty member.


1. Check whether your course is approved by the department for Honors Option credit.

2. Talk to your professor early in the semester to see whether they would be willing to oversee an Honors Option. The professor must approve the format, timeline, and scope of the project.

3. Complete an Honors Option Agreement Form located on the Registrar's website by selecting “Student-Instructor Forms”.

  • If you are doing a service-learning Honors Option, visit this page to learn more. 

4. At the end of the semester, the professor approves the Honors Option if the work was completed and the department's requirements satisfied. The quality of an Honors Option project does not affect the grade assigned for a course; however, in some cases a minimum grade must be earned in a course before the Honors credit associated with the Honors Option can be awarded.

Please note: Honors Option processing typically takes 2-3 weeks to appear on the academic record.

Examples of Honors Options

A variety of activities may be used to satisfy the Honors Options. View some examples.