Honors College & Academic Scholars Program students, please see the information below for the most up-to-date advising policies.


Advising Appointments
30-minute academic advising appointments can be scheduled online at We will be offering in person and online appointment options.  Please include your email address in the comments and the advisor will send you a Zoom link/phone# in advance of your meeting if you select a Zoom appointment. As always, you may contact an HC/ASP advisor directly via email with any questions or concerns. Advisors will respond to short email questions, but please allow for 24-48 business hours response time.


Advising is an important aspect of the Honors College. Developing personalized programs of study requires that Honors College members keep in close touch with advisors both in the Honors College and in their major departments. With the help and approval of these advisors, Honors students can take maximum advantage of the flexibility they are allowed in filling degree requirements.

Honors College Academic Specialists/Advisors

Honors College/Academic Scholars Program Academic Specialists/Advisors are located in Eustace-Cole Hall and advise students from all majors about general university requirements; they also serve as the primary advisors for Honors College members who have not yet declared a major preference.

Honors College students are encouraged to schedule an appointment with their advisor based on the student's last name.

A-D: Sadiq Mohammed (

E-K: See any advisor

L-Ri: Amanda Ritter (

Ro-S: Christine Raisanen (

T-Z: Erika Trigg Crews ( - Temporarily unavailable. See any advisor.

To schedule an appointment with your advisor

1. Go to and log in with your MSU NetID and password.
2. Click the "Academic Progress" tile from the Students homepage. 
3. Click the tab on the left, labeled "Advising/Tutoring Appointments."
4. To schedule a new appointment, click "Create New Appointment."
5. Fill out the "New Appointment" section details. 
6. Select an advisor meeting your criteria. 
7. After reviewing the appointment details, click "Book It!"

Note: If the appointment is successfully created, a green box will show at the bottom confirming. If the appointment was not successfully created, a red box and pop-up will occur notifying you the appointment was not created. Visit the Student Guide for Scheduling Advising/Tutoring Appointments for additional assistance with scheduling 30-minute appointments and viewing drop-in availability. 

Honors Departmental (Major) Advisors

Honors College members who have chosen a major preference are assigned to specially designated Honors advisors in their major departments. More than 200 faculty members serve as departmental Honors advisors who, in working out programs tailored to individual Honors College members, are granted the authority to approve nonstandard courses that members take to fill college and major requirements.

Advising Assignment

If you have declared a major preference, you should work with an Honors advisor in your major to plan courses which will satisfy your major and college requirements. To find an advisor if you have not been assigned to one, consult the list of departmental Honors advisors.

  • If more than one advisor is listed for your major department/unit, check to see whether one is listed as "Coordinator" and contact that person for your advisor assignment.
  • If no coordinator is listed, check under "Specialty" to see whether the advisors are assigned alphabetically or by major.
  • If you are still unsure as to which departmental Honors advisor you should see, contact the Honors College at 517-355-2326.

If you have not declared a major preference, one of the Honors College Academic Specialists/Advisors will act as your departmental Honors advisor and help you plan a program until you choose a major (no later than the beginning of your first semester at junior standing).

All students should work with an Honors College Academic Specialist/Advisor to select University Integrative Studies substitution classes.

Program Planning

Students Planning Education Abroad/Study Away

It is essential that Honors College members meet with their Honors College Academic Specialist/Advisor prior to an education abroad/study away trip to discuss course enrollment. Education abroad courses should be approved in advance by an Honors College Academic Specialist/Advisor in order to ensure appropriate credit with respect to Honors College requirements. Students needing a signature on a Course Approval Form (CAF), please email Chris Raisanen ( or stop into room 105 Eustace-Cole Hall.

Freshmen/First-Year Students

You will need to meet with your departmental Honors advisor, and probably with an Honors College Academic Specialist/Advisor, early in Fall semester to make final course plans for Spring. Bring along your tentative program plans made during New Student Orientation and any changes to those plans you may be considering. If you add a new course intended for the Honors College University Integrative Studies substitution requirements, be sure to confirm that it appears as a substitution via your Degree Audit. If the course does not appear 24 hours after you've enrolled, you'll need to submit the University Integrative Studies substitution approval form via your Honors College Academic Progress Plan (HCAPP).

You will need to meet with your Honors advisor(s) again during Spring to make plans for the following academic year.