South Africa Scholars: Research & Community Engagement
This program is temporarily on hold and not accepting applicants.
The South Africa Scholars: Research and Community Engagement program offers MSU Honors College students the opportunity to participate in a research and community engagement experience in Durban, South Africa in collaboration with the Center for Civil Society at the University of KwaZulu-Natal. This program is designed to be flexible and tailored to meet the academic needs and research interests of Honors College students.
Students participating in the South Africa Scholars program will engage in a mentored research and community engagement experience for academic credit during the semester, or academic year.
Students enroll in 3-4 courses for the semester.
The student must be a member of the Honors College with junior or senior status and a strong interest in conducting academic research. A cumulative GPA of 3.7 is preferred (minimum 3.4). Previous research experience is not required.
Applicants’ participation may be denied or their participation approval may be revoked if their conduct before departure raises doubts as to their suitability for program participation.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover letter/initial statement of interest to the Honors College
- Personal Statement (2-3 pages). Discuss how this program relates to your MSU academic program and describe the research project topic you would like to focus on.
- 3 academic reference letters sent directly to the Honors College by faculty references (send to: email@example.com).
How to Apply:
1. Submit all application materials to the Honors College by the deadline to:
The Honors College
Michigan State University
468 E. Circle Drive, Room 105
East Lansing, MI 48824-1041
or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Eligible applicants will be invited for an interview with the Honors College.
3. Students selected for the South Africa Scholars program will be notified of their acceptance and will receive instructions for
completing an application with MSU’s Office of Study Abroad.
January 15th for fall semester
June 15th for spring semester
Estimated Student Budget
For current budget information please visit the Office of Study Abroad website at: http://studyabroad.msu.edu/programs/. Search for the South Africa Scholars program by country.
Scholarships for Honors College members
MSU Office of Study Abroad Scholarships
Scholarships for students of color
Foundation for Global Scholars
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
Whitaker International Undergraduate Scholarship Program (Biomedical/Bioengineering)
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship (Pell Grant recipients)
Go Study Abroad Scholarships
Dr. Kristin Janka, email@example.com
Cynthia Chalou, firstname.lastname@example.org