Quiz Bowl Area Activities
Things to Do On and Around Campus April 15-16
Science Festival Activities
- Michigan State University Admissions Presentation and Tours
- The Office of Admissions provides admission presentations for prospective freshmen and their families followed by a walking tour of campus. Topics covered include the admission process, academic programs, student life, university housing, and study abroad. There is also time for questions. One is available Friday at 1:00pm and another on Saturday at 10:30am. Meet in the Admissions Welcome Room on the 3rd floor of the Union. Students and parents of students who have been admitted to MSU for fall of 2011 are also welcome to attend “Inside MSU” at 10:15am on Friday in the Admissions Welcome Room on the 3rd floor of the Union. More information can be found and reservations can be made at https://admissions.msu.edu/visitCampus/dailyPrograms.asp
- Campus Center Cinemas
- Shows four movies per weekend on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights in large lecture halls. Each movie is shown twice per night (usually around 7 and 9 pm). These movies have usually just left theaters and are not yet out on DVD. $2 per person.
No Strings Attached
Saturday – Conrad Auditorium, 7:00p.m. & 9:15p.m.
Saturday—Wilson Auditorium, 7:00p.m. & 9:15p.m.
**free for everyone
- “Sparty’s Spring Party”
- Held Saturday, April 16 from 2:00- 6:00 p.m. on Demonstration Field (behind the Sparty statue), this FREE event features a fun-filled day of outdoor activities including the Vertical Rush Rock Climbing Wall, Bonzi Bikes, and the Slam n’ Jam. Enjoy Lansing's own Jammin DJ's and make sure you catch the free beverages from Canada Dry Bottling Co. of Lansing, as well as free popcorn and cotton candy. Finish the evening with a free outdoor concert starting at 8:00p.m. and featuring music mashup artist DJ Earworm. Free glow-stick giveaways! More information can be found at http://uabevents.com/calendar .
- Bowling and Billiards in the MSU Union
- Bowling at Spartan Lanes and Billiards at the UCue are located in the basement of the Union (the building that the Quiz Bowl tournament is held in). They are open every day and are relatively inexpensive. Check them out downstairs or call (517) 355-3357 (bowling) or (517) 355-3358 (billiards) for information.
- Ice Skating at Munn Arena
- Munn Ice Arena has public open skating for $4.00 (students or under 18) or $5.00 (adults), plus skate rental for $2.00 from the ProShop in Section K of the arena. Times for Friday are 12:30-2:00 p.m. and 8:15-9:45 p.m. There will also be skating from 8:45-10:15 p.m. on Saturday.
- Abrams Planetarium
- The Planetarium gives public shows on Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons. The show is projected onto the dome and the current night sky is explained after each show. "Dark Matters", a program about the dark empty space between stars and galaxies, will be shown at 8:00pm on Friday and Saturday. Admission is $3.00 for adults and $2.50 for students. Information can be found here: http://www.pa.msu.edu/abrams/
- MSU Museum
- The MSU Museum, initiated in 1857, is one of the oldest museums in the Midwest. In 2001, the Museum became the first museum in the state to receive Smithsonian Institute Affiliate Status. Currently featured exhibits include "MASK: Secrets and Revelations” and “The Diversity and Intricate Beauty of Invertebrates.” Located just a short walk from the MSU Union (right by the library and Beaumont Tower), the Museum is open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturday. Admission is free, but donations are accepted. For more info, visit http://www.museum.msu.edu/.
- NCG Cinema is located in Eastwood Town Center on Lake Lansing Road, north of campus. From the MSU Union, take Grand River west to Harrison, turn right on Harrison and take it north to Lake Lansing Rd.. Turn left on Lake Lansing, continue on the overpass past US-127, and Eastwood Town Center will be on your right. NCG is at the back of the center. Tickets are $7.50 for students and $8.50 for adults. Bring a school ID if possible. For show times, check here: http://www.ncgmovies.com/lansing/lansing.html or call (517) 316-9100.
- Celebration Cinema is located in Lansing south of campus. From the MSU Union, take Grand River west to Michigan Avenue (it's just a jog to the left), and turn left onto Harrison (you'll have to go past the light and make a U-turn on Michigan, and then a right onto Harrison). Take Harrison to Trowbridge, and turn right onto Trowbridge. Take I-496 eastbound (it will merge into US-127 southbound), and merge onto I-96 westbound. Take exit 104 (Cedar St.), merge onto East Edgewood Blvd, and Celebration will be on your left. Tickets are $7.50 for students and $8.50 for adults ($9.50 for IMAX). For show times, check here: http://www.celebrationcinema.com/?pid=30003 or call 517-393-7469.
- Holiday Lanes, located on Grand River west of campus. Take Grand River west to just before US-127. It's on your right. They have food (hot dogs, burgers, fries, etc.). (517) 337-2695
- Several restaurants in the area have video trivia that you can play at your table. One of these restaurants is Buffalo Wild Wings (on Albert, which runs behind Grand River across from campus). Some of them turn more into sports bars after 9pm or so, but they're good places to have dinner if you like trivia.
- Meridian Mall on Grand River Ave. is a standard mall with department stores, chain clothing stores (like Abercrombie and Fitch, American Eagle, etc.), miscellaneous accessory/electronics/etc. stores, and a food court. From campus, drive east on Grand River, and Meridian Mall will be on your left between Okemos and Marsh roads. Visit http://www.meridianmall.com/ for more information.
- Eastwood Town Center is located on Lake Lansing Road north of campus (follow the directions to NCG Cinema listed above). It's an outdoor mall with several clothing stores and restaurants. Eastwood contains a large movie theater (NCG) at the back of the complex. Visit http://www.shopeastwoodtownecenter.com/ for more information.
- Pinball Pete's on Albert (the street that runs parallel to and a block behind Grand River) and MAC is an arcade with a wide selection of traditional games and more recent ones (including Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero). Their phone number is (517) 337-2544 and they are open from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. daily.