Advising is an important aspect of the Honors College. Developing individualized programs of study requires that Honors College members keep in close touch with advisers both in the Honors College and in their major departments. With the help and approval of these advisers, Honors students can take maximum advantage of the flexibility they are allowed in filling degree requirements.

Honors Advisers

Honors College Specialists/Advisers are located in Eustace-Cole Hall and advise students from all majors about general university requirements; they also serve as the primary advisers for Honors College members who have not yet declared a major preference.

HC students are encouraged to schedule an appointment with their adviser based on the student's last name.

Sadiq Mohammed ( A-F

Andrew Murray ( G-L

Amanda Ritter ( M-R

Erika Crews ( S-Z

To schedule an appointment with your advisor

  1. Go to and log in with your MSU NetID and password.

  2. Click “Get Advising” in the upper right corner of the Student Success Dashboard home page.

  3. Follow the steps for creating an appointment. You and your advisor will receive confirmation emails regarding the scheduled appointment.

Honors Departmental Advisers

Honors College members who have chosen a major preference are assigned to specially designated Honors advisers in their major departments. More than 200 faculty members serve as departmental Honors advisers who, in working out programs tailored to individual Honors College members, are granted the authority to approve nonstandard courses that members take to fill college and major requirements.

Advising Assignment

If you have declared a major preference, you should work with an Honors adviser in your major to plan courses which will satisfy your major and college requirements. To find an adviser if you have not been assigned to one, consult the list of departmental Honors advisers.

  • If more than one adviser is listed for your major department/unit, check to see whether one is listed as "Coordinator" and contact that person for your adviser assignment.
  • If no coordinator is listed, check under "Specialty" to see whether the advisers are assigned alphabetically or by major.
  • If you are still unsure as to which departmental Honors adviser you should see, contact the Honors College at 355-2326.

If you have not declared a major preference, one of the Honors College Academic Specialists/Advisers will act as your departmental Honors adviser and help you plan a program until you choose a major (no later than the beginning of your first semester at junior standing).

All students should work with an Honors College Academic Specialist/Adviser to select General Education classes.

Quick Links 

Video Tutorials 

Program Planning

Students Planning Study Abroad/Study Away

It is essential that Honors College members meet with their Honors College adviser prior to a study abroad/study away trip to discuss course enrollment. Study abroad courses should be approved in advance by an HC adviser in order to ensure appropriate credit with respect to Honors College requirements.

Freshmen/First-Year Students

You will need to meet with your departmental Honors adviser, and probably with an Honor College Academic Specialist/Adviser, early in Fall Semester to make final course plans for Spring. Bring along your tentative program plans made during Academic Orientation and any changes to those plans you may be considering. If your overall academic goals and plans change, complete an updated HCAPP. If you add a new course intended for the HC General Education requirements, be sure to submit the General Education Substitution request form.  Click here to submit your Academic Progress Plan

You will need to meet with your Honors adviser(s) again in spring to make plans for the following academic year.

Returning Students

During Spring Semester you will need to plan courses for the following year in consultation with your departmental Honors adviser, record these plans on your online HCAPP

If you intend to spend part or all of a year away from campus, either enrolled in classes or participating in a cooperative education program, prepare an HCAPP noting where you will be and, if possible, which classes you will be taking. If you are away during Spring Semester when HCAPPs are normally due, contact your departmental Honors adviser by e-mail to make plans for the following year as best you can and submit the HCAPP online as usual. When you return to campus, see your Honors adviser in person.